When we look at the market it’s full of dedicated and good-looking gaming laptops. But the thing is first you have to craft the needs of that specific game before you start playing.
This is known as Game Development. And here we will try to help the game developers who are looking for a strong and dependable laptop for their game development work.
When we talk about game development it can be 2D or 3D. And usually, 2D game development doesn’t need as much hardware juice as you need in 3D game development.
But, you have to be well informed before picking a laptop. Game development includes managing multiple types of dense game engines and 2D or 3D modeling software like Solidworks and AutoCAD.
And for handling these things, you need to have a decent amount of swift storage, a robust processor, a dedicated GPU, top-quality RAM, and other exclusive components.
But you don’t think much about this, we know it’s not easy to pick a single laptop from the pile of different kinds of laptops available out there.
So we can tell you that quality of the product will be fitting.
The list stated below includes the best laptops appropriate for both 2D & 3D game development
Asus ProArt StudioBook Pro 15
- 15.6” UHD (3840*2160) NanoEdge matte display; 100% Adobe RGB; Pantone validated color accuracy; Delta E <1.5
- Intel Core i7-9750H (12M Cache, up to 4.5GHz) with Windows 10 Professional
- NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 with 16GB GDDR6 VRAM – RTX Studio Ready
- Fast storage and memory featuring 1TB + 1TB (2TB total) PCIe NVMe SSD (RAID 0) HyperDrive and 48GB DDR4 Memory
- Extensive connectivity with HDMI 2.0, RJ45, USB-C Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Gen
ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo UX581
- ScreenPad Plus: 14-inch 4K matte touchscreen, giving your endless way to optimize your multitasking experience by extending the screen or splitting windows and apps on both displays
- 15.6 inch 4K UHD NanoEdge touchscreen glossy main display
- Latest 9th generation Intel Core i7-9750H Quad-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.5 GHz) with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
- Detachable palm rest and ASUS active stylus pen included
- Fast storage and memory featuring 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD with 16GB DDR4 RAM
ASUS ROG Strix G17
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 with ROG Boost
Latest 5th Gen AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Processor (16M Cache, up to 4.5 GHz)
- 300Hz 3ms 17.3” Full HD 1920×1080 IPS-Type Display
- 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- ROG Intelligent Cooling thermal system with Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal Thermal Compound
- Comes with Windows 10 Home and a FREE upgrade to Windows 11 (when available1)
Razer Blade 14
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Graphics for Stunning Visuals: Built on NVIDIA’s award-winning 2nd-gen RTX architecture, these GPUs provide the most realistic ray-traced graphics and cutting-edge AI features for the most powerful graphics in a gaming laptop
- Whether gaming or creating, AMD Ryzen processors offer ultimate performance: AMD Ryzen 5000 Series processors power the next generation of demanding games, providing one of a kind immersive experiences and dominate any multithreaded task like 3D and video rendering3, and software compiling
- Next-gen Displays to Meet Your Needs: 165Hz QHD display for the best of both worlds in fast gaming and ultra clear display
- Vapor Chamber Cooling for Maximized Thermal Performance: The laptop quietly and efficiently dissipates heat through the evaporation and condensation of an internal fluid, keeping it running smoothly and coolly even under intense loads
- Customizable RGB Individual Key Lighting: Illuminates in sync with Razer Chroma-supported peripherals and popular games with multiple lighting effects
- Windows 11 Compatible: Includes Windows 10 Home with a free upgrade to Windows 11 when available through Windows Update – experience the best Windows ever for gaming with superior graphics and faster load times
Lenovo ThinkPad P17
- Intel Xeon W-10855M Processor with vPro (2.80 GHz, up to 5.10 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 12 MB Cache)
- 17.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 300 nits； N VIDIA_Quadro T2000 4GB
- 32 GB DDR4 RAM, 1 TB PCIe SSD; Fingerprint Reader; ThinkShutter
- Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 5.1 with vPro; IR camera for Windows Hello; 3 x USB A 3.2 Gen 1 (1 always on) 2 x USB Type-C Thunderbolt 3 USB-C HDMI 2.0 Headphone / mic combo RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
- Windows 10 Pro 64; Backlit, Spill-resistant, ThinkPad Precision Keyboard with numeric keypad
Acer Predator Helios 300
- Extreme Performance: Crush the competition with the impressive power and speed of the 11th Generation Intel Core i7-11800H processor, featuring 8 cores and 16 threads to divide and conquer any task or run your most intensive games
- RTX, It’s On: The latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (6GB dedicated GDDR6 VRAM) is powered by award-winning Ampere architecture with new Ray Tracing Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors supporting DirectX 12 Ultimate for the ultimate gaming performance
- Blazing-Fast Display: This 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS LED-backlit display with a 16:9 aspect ratio features an incredibly fast 144Hz refresh rate and 3ms Overdrive response time for the gamers who demand the best visual experiences
- Internal Specifications: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz memory (2 DDR4 Slots Total, Maximum 32GB); 512GB PCIe Gen 4 SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots/1 x 2.5″ Hard Drive Bay Available)
- Prioritize Your Gameplay: Intel Killer DoubleShot Pro with Ethernet E2600 and Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i lets you use Wi-Fi and Ethernet at the same time, and have total control over priority traffic to maximize speed, throughput, and control
- Cooling Perfected: Acer Helios 300 uses a 5th Generation AeroBlade Fan with 89 blades designed to increase air intake and keeps your system at a nice, cool temp. Also, allowing you to maximize your performance by reducing throttling for better-sustained performance.
- With Alexa Show Mode, you can use your PC as a full-screen interactive experience that features rich visuals and lets you talk to Alexa from across the room.
HP Pavilion 15
- INSTANT GRATIFICATION – Experience a laptop with premium performance, so you can spend less time getting more done; it’s like a small PC that’s compact enough to go where you go with a long-lasting battery to power you through your day
- EPIC ENTERTAINMENT – With audio by B&O, a larger screen-to-body ratio, and a 15.6-inch Full HD micro-edged screen to maximize your view, entertainment on your laptop feels like bringing the theater home (1)
- IMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS – The Intel Iris Xe Graphics gives you a new level of graphics performance with crisp, stunning visuals, plus the convenience of a thin and light laptop (2)
- UNSTOPPABLE PERFORMANCE – Get things done fast with the 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor, which delivers instant responsiveness and best-in-class connectivity (3)
- MEMORY AND STORAGE – Enjoy up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage (4) and experience improved multitasking with higher bandwidth thanks to 16 GB of RAM
WORK ON THE GO – Get work done on the go with a long battery life of up to 8 hours (5) while HP Fast Charge lets you go from 0 to 50% charge in approximately 45 minutes (6)
- OS AND WARRANTY – Do more with better peace of mind thanks to the HP 1-year limited hardware warranty and the seamlessly integrated Windows 10 Pro operating system (7)
Lenovo Legion 5
- Escalate your game with up to 8 high-performance cores in the AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and 512GB NVMe SSD storage
- With NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti graphics behind you, you can enjoy the depth and visual fidelity of real-time ray-tracing – RTX Gaming, It’s On
The 15.6″ FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS display on the Legion 5 gaming laptop delivers speed and color clarity for full-fidelity gaming
- Legion TrueStrike keyboard with 4-zone RGB backlight; 2 x 2W speakers with Nahimic Audio for Gamers
- Connectivity: Built-in 720p webcam with e-shutter, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, USB-C, 4 USB, HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4, RJ45 Ethernet
Acer Swift 3
- Ultimate Performance. Uncompromised Battery Life: Speed up tasks with AMD Ryzen 7 5800U processor with Zen 3 Core Architecture, available for ultrathin laptops, so you can save time and get back to creating
- RTX, It’s On: The latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU (4GB GDDR6 VRAM) is powered by award-winning Ampere architecture with new Ray Tracing Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors supporting DirectX 12 Ultimate for incredible creativity
- A True Visual Representation: Create your best content on the 14″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Widescreen LED-backlit 100% sRGB display with 300 nits brightness and 16:9 aspect ratio
- Internal Specifications: 16GB LPDDR4X memory (maximum 16GB); 512GB NVMe SSD; 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 Dual-Band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz featuring 2×2 MU-MIMO technology; Bluetooth 5.2
- Windows Hello with Fingerprint Reader: Biometric fingerprint reader and Windows Hello sign-in options help keep your Acer PC secure
- Using Alexa on your PC is as easy as asking a question. Just ask and Alexa can check your calendar, create lists, play music, answer questions, read the news, and more.
- Made to Move: At just 3.06 lbs, this Acer Swift X laptop is ready to go where you go. The metal design is thin and lightweight but packs a whole lot of battery power with fast charging capability
Apple MacBook Pro 16
- Apple M1 Pro or M1 Max chip for a massive leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Up to 10-core CPU delivers up to 2x faster performance to fly through pro workflows quicker than ever
- Up to 32-core GPU with up to 4x faster performance for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for up to 5x faster machine learning performance
- Longer battery life, up to 21 hours
- Up to 64GB of unified memory so everything you do is fast and fluid
- Up to 8TB of superfast SSD storage launches apps and opens files in an instant
Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Laptops for Game Development (Buying Guide)
How to select the best laptop for Game development?
You have the list of the best laptops for game development but still, it’s vital for you to know more about what a laptop for game development must have.
Generally, Game development involves 2D and 3D types of work, and if your work is just restricted to 2D game development, then you don’t require a very high-end PC.
But if you are into 3D game development, then better to have a PC with good hardware. So let’s check the specifications of a laptop must-have if you’re using it for 3D game development.
The processor is the main thing that usually decides how your PC will perform. If you have a low-spec CPU it will limit the actual usage of the remaining hardware.
So never compromise processor on a PC.
And one more crucial thing to keep in mind is the processor from Intel and AMD should not be outdated. An 11th gen Intel CPU or an AMD CPU from Ryzen 5000 series will work perfectly on an exclusive laptop.
When we pick a laptop for gaming we look for a good dedicated GPU, same goes for the game’s development also requires a dedicated GPU too.
Game development works with most of the exclusive graphic-intensive game engines to design 2D/3D characters and elements.
You can get a 2D game development laptop without a dedicated GPU, but when we talk about 3D game development then a dedicated GPU is a must. You have to make sure that the laptop should have a GPU that assists Direct X12 and comprise at least 4GB of GDDR6 video memory.
That kind of GPU will visibly complement the CPU and give you a performance that will bring your 3D game development to another level.
As we all know that RAM, works like interim storage that stores the data of the actively running application. And as we are talking about the game development work which mostly handles heavy gaming engines and modeling software, the RAM should be swift and sufficient enough not to limit your multitasking.
As we have discussed earlier also for a laptop used for 2D game development, 8GB of DDR4 RAM would be sufficient. But, when we talk about 3D game development, 8GB RAM is not enough and will not work for you.
If you settle for less the 16GB of RAM then it will be a problem for you. And if you compromise with RAM it will result in the slow loading of applications and limit the PC from multitasking smoothly. And it will not be easy for you to use multiple applications at once.
Game development usually generates some huge files, and the work spin around exclusive presets of textures, 2D and 3D models, and other data.
So you can’t just go with low storage. It should be swift enough to pass on fast data read and write speeds to make the overall PC performance smooth and rapid. And to get these things, you should have SSD storage.
It is definitely a little bit costly as compared to the conventional HDD, but the performance will justify the extra money. It is possible for you also to stretch the storage with SSD or HDD according to your budget. But you have to check whether the laptop you’re getting comes with an empty slot or not.
This one is very important because, without it, you can’t develop anything on a PC, even if it’s more powerful. And at the same time if a display is not good in quality your work will not look good also, and finally, it will be difficult for you to get the desired final product.
When we talk about game development laptops, you don’t have to be picky in terms of display quality. But it’s better to get the laptop that comes with at least a Full HD resolution, i.e., 1920×1080 pixels.
Color reproduction is also a thing to look for when it comes to game development, so if the laptop display comprises good color calibration then you will be having a good time working on it.
But, if you are interested in using an external monitor with your laptop, then it’s possible for you to compromise a little on the display if it is providing better hardware in return.
As the gaming industry is always coming up with new innovations, onerous needs, and trends like VR and AR. This is the reason the participants are also finding ways to come up with new standards.
Getting a fitting laptop is crucial if you want to run these robust game engines and 3D modeling and designing software.
A computer is the most elementary appliance for placing all the power-packed action gaming roadmap together. This is the reason an exclusive game development laptop is vital in the production of excellent, best quality, modern, and updated games.
So don’t forget the specifications of a PC that matter the most. So you have to pick the appropriate hardware keeping in mind you’re designing and programming aptness carefully.
So it’s time to wrap things up and as we have discussed Game Development is equally challenging as playing the game. Because in-game development you have to manage some of the heaviest game engines 3D-modeling software and some others.
So investing in an exclusive laptop is certainly a good idea especially if you’re dealing with 2D and 3D game development.
Some of the models that we have included in our list are the ideal choices for 3D game development, as they have some strong graphics and CPU.
If you pick from the list then definitely you will not regret it. You can bank on these machines if you have a heavy workload with challenging graphics applications.
There are some laptops for professional developers also comprising a powerful workstation and they can definitely serve you. And if you are into 2D game development, you can go for any reasonable laptop with modernized hardware.
And when it comes to configurations; the laptops that we have included in our list comprise the latest hardware. After reading all this stuff we are sure that you will make a wise decision when you get the best laptops for game development.
This investment of yours is vital as it is quite expensive and hence you should have enough information about the product. So now you know what to look for when you buy the best laptop for game development. Take your time and get the best one.